Networker

[Networker] SnapImage between Win2k3 client and Solaris Storage Node

2006-11-01 08:21:21
Subject: [Networker] SnapImage between Win2k3 client and Solaris Storage Node
From: John Hope-Bailie <johnhb AT CHANNELDATA.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:13:32 +0200
Hi All,

We are considering using SnapImage for Windows on a Windows 2003 server
which has a large number of small files to back up.

The site has NW Servers and Storage Nodes running NW 7.2.1 on Solaris,
with mainly Windows and Solaris clients.

I have read up on this and I hope I have it right.

It seems that we can use SnapImage on the Win2k3 client  which includes
an NDMP component which will forward the NDMP datastream to the Solaris
Storage Node.

The Storage Node will be running DSA, which will accept the stream, and
perform an immediate save to one of the SAN-connected IBM 3592 tape
drives in a "regular" NetWorker format (i.e. not a standard NDMP
stream).

This will allow us to continue to multiplex the streams on the drives on
this storage node as well as use DDS on the tape drives.

Questions

1)  Do I have it right in principle or have I missed something important
?

2) Is anyone running this configuration - can they provide feedback ?

3) I assume that using DSA on the SN means I do not need the NDMP Tape
Server license for Solaris on this host ?

regards,

John Hope-Bailie