Networker

[Networker] DLT to LTO2 hardware conversion problem.

2006-10-23 12:08:02
Subject: [Networker] DLT to LTO2 hardware conversion problem.
From: Shawn Cox <shawn.cox AT PCCA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:03:31 -0500
I have baked my noodle over this weekend.  Time to ask the pros.

I have a single physically secured W2K3 server that has an older SCSI
attached DLT drive on it.  It's been there about 3 years.  Networker version
is v7.1.3b404.  Policy prevents me from backing up this server under my
enterprise Networker installation.

This weekend I attempted to install a new LTO2 Drive to replace the DLT.  I
actually removed the DLT drive and put the LTO2 in its place.  I removed all
old drivers and got all the new drivers up and running properly under
windows.  I have two pools a daily and a weekly.  To allow for backward
restoration I left the old pools and created two new pools for the new
media.  So far so good.

Here's my problem:  When I run the backups from a group the backup only
writes between 50-80 MB to the tape and marks it full.  Here's what throws
me for a loop.  If I label that exact tape in the default pool and run a
backup through the Networker Client interface the backup works fine.  I've
tried a couple of different tapes.  Next is to take the drive to a test
server and try the same stuff.

I'm open to ideas here.

--Shawn

Server and Storage Administrator