Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.1 client with 7.2 server

2006-10-18 09:49:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.1 client with 7.2 server
From: "Clark, Patricia" <Clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:30:47 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Matthew C. Aycock
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:17 AM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: [Networker] 7.3.1 client with 7.2 server

I have the new 7.3.1 client for linux and I want to use it with my 7.2
server on Solaris/SPARC. I seem to remember that there are issues using
different revs of the client/server.

Any suggestions/guidance?

--
Thanks,

Matt
----------
Matthew C. Aycock
Operating Systems Analyst/Developer, Lead Dept Math/CS Emory University,
Atlanta, GA
Internet:  matt AT mathcs.emory DOT edu

I have been using a couple of 7.3.x clients with a 7.2.2 Solaris server
for several months without issue.  Keep in mind that you are limited to
the features that the 7.2.x server supports.  I HAD to use a 7.3.x
clients since I had Solaris AMD 64 clients which are only supported with
7.3.x and forward.  The best thing I suggest is to test both backups and
restores to see if they complete correctly.

Since you don't say why you are using 7.3.1 linux client, and if the
v7.2.x client has everything that you need to perform backups and
recovery, the "rule of thumb" is to use the same major version that the
server is running.  BTW, v7.3.2 is the latest.

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator - RHCT
Office of Scientific and Technical Information