Networker

[Networker] Some miscelleneous questions

2006-10-16 20:07:32
Subject: [Networker] Some miscelleneous questions
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:02:09 -0400
1. Why do file type/disk devices insist on wanting to remain mounted. Every time I unmount one of them, it just remounts it again a few seconds later. We're using 7.2.2 on Solaris with a Linux snode.

2. What is the advantage of an advanced file type device over a regular one?
I just need a place on the server's disk to send the server's bootstrap and index to until it can be staged to tape on the storage node. We have no local tape devices on the server, only the storage node. We have a disk backup tier 1 license. This works fine, but just asking about which file type device would be better: regular or advanced? The advanced seems more complicated
  since it uses both a read-only part and a non-read only part.

3. What the heck is the migration pool used for?

The help window has nothing on this, only Archive, Archive Clone, Backup and Backup Clone. Out of curiosity, I labeled a tape on the snode into the migration pool, and played around with staging data to it from the server's file type device, and it works nicely, but I guess a standard backup clone pool would work fine for staging, so you don't need a migration clone pool? I guess what's confusing me here is the man page for nsrstage uses the word 'migration', but it also specifies that this
clones data.

I noticed that NetWorker includes "(A)" after the migration volume name in the devices window. Wasn't sure what "(A)" implied?

4. Do you in fact need to use a backup clone pool to stage data? Seems so if it's cloning the data before removing the save sets from the media database and/or
removing the save sets from the file device.

Hmm ....

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210