Networker

[Networker] Question on index and incrementals?

2006-10-16 19:40:08
Subject: [Networker] Question on index and incrementals?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:36:42 -0400
I have a question here on indexes. If you have two or more NSR client resources with the same hostname, do they write only their own respective portion of the index out to tape during an incremental, or would each backup any of the various pieces/parts in the index
that had been changed when one of the other resources had previously ran?

For example, let's say you have two NSR client resources for host bob, each backing up different save sets, and each is in a separate group (bob1, bob2). If you had 'No index save' turned on for group bob1, but not for group bob2, and you ran an incremental on bob1, and then you later ran an incremental on group bob2, would bob2 save the parts of the index that had been updated when bob1 previously ran or just what changed when bob2 ran? I'm not clear on how indexing works in this respect.

I want to say that if it's a level full then it's moot as the entirety of the index will be backed up regardless, but with incrementals and/or
numeric levels, I'm shaky.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210