Networker

[Networker] Expected behaviour or bug?

2006-10-16 05:48:44
Subject: [Networker] Expected behaviour or bug?
From: Rik Theys <rik.theys AT ESAT.KULEUVEN DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 05:34:23 -0400
Hi,

I've noticed a strange (?) behaviour of the Legato/EMC networker (client)
and am not sure if the behaviour is what I should expect or if it's a bug in
the client.

The backup client runs Legato Networker Client for Linux (x86 or x86_64
version) version 7.1/7.3. The server runs version 6.0.3 on an Alpha.

I create a directory on the client with data (say unpack the linux source
code) and create a .nsr file in that directory that specifies that nothing
(except the .nsr file) should be backupped in that directory. When the
backup client is instructed to make an incremental (or full) backup, the
backup client backups the .nsr file and nothing else in that directory (so
far so good).

I decide that the data in the directory becomes important and want to back
it up, so I remove the .nsr file. During the night an incremental backup
runs but doesn't backup anything because none of the files have changed.
When I look at what nwrecover has for that directory, the directory is empty.

When I touch a file in the directory (change the ctime), that one file is
backupped during the next incremental.

Shouldn't the client check for each directory if a .nsr file previously
existed and if it did, backup all the files and not just the new ones? With
the current behaviour it will take until the next full backup before the
files are backupped (which might still be a few weeks).

Is this the behaviour I should expect or is it a bug in the client software?
If this is the expected behaviour, is there a configuration option I can set
to change the behaviour? Is this behaviour version dependant? Will upgrading
the server software "solve" this?

Thanks in advance,

Rik