Networker

[Networker] Scanner -i failure

2006-10-10 11:22:55
Subject: [Networker] Scanner -i failure
From: Terry Stevens <topspinna AT YAHOO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:13:15 -0400
Hi,

We're trying to restore data from tapes that have passed their retention
policy. We have a Networker 7.2 Server. We know that six tapes hold the
data we need. So I thought the best way to recover the data is by doing
a 'scanner -i' command and merge the data from the tapes into the indexes.
Running the command I can see the SSID's scanning in - but there are some
errors "read error unknown error 21 - cannot set block size: unknown error
21".

At the end of the scanner -i process. I can go into the volumes index and
can see the relevant tapes. But when I go to client indexes I can't see
the relevant indexes for the relevant time. And when I go to the clients
and browse versions of backup none of the relevant backups are there.

I'm trying to understand whether the read errors and block size errors are
causing problems or whether there is a deeper problem here. Any feedback
would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers, Terry.