Networker

Re: [Networker] Quickest restore method

2006-10-09 11:04:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Quickest restore method
From: Denis <denis.mail.list AT FREE DOT FR>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:42:26 +0200
Selon Patricio Mora <patricio.mora.ext AT JUNTADEANDALUCIA DOT ES>:

> Hello all, I need some advice. The case is this:
>
> I have saved 80,000,000 files into 20 LTO2 tapes, near 3.5 TB, with
> Networker version 7.0
> The save was done with "No index save" option activated (-S option to
> 'save' command), because i dont want this huge information into my
> Networker indexes (it is all mounted read only, raid 5 protected, and it
> comes from 900 DVDs i still store here)
>
> I now have to restore them in my backup center, different Networker
> Server (version 7.3) The question is: do i have to run scanner over the
> 20 tapes before i'll be able to restore anything from them? Or there
> exists some method which directly scans and restore them al in one time?
>
> I've read about scanner's -x option. 'man scanner' says it 'extracts',
> but extracts all contents or only indexes? Is this what i have to use,
> passing all ssids within each tape? What happens when the save set
> reaches one tape's EOF and extends to a second one?
>
> TIA.

Hello,

you can 'pipe' scanner to redirect data stream into uasm in order to 'restore
while reading' (but only on the computer which holds tapes drive).

scanner /dev/rmt7.1 -x uasm ?ruv ?iY

Check tapes order by issuing a 'mminfo -r 'sumflags'' on your tapes to mount
them beginning by the first...

May you can find it usable ?

Denis.