Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrating backup data from tool "A" to tool "B"

2006-10-06 09:56:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrating backup data from tool "A" to tool "B"
From: Steve Warren <swarren AT cresend DOT com>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:54:36 -0500
Your methodology is correct. It's preferable to maintain the old solution
and phase it out over time, but if you have to migrate you have to migrate.

Potential Problems:

Depending on how TSM has been managed/groomed you may discover that
recovering $clientname_$savetime may take a very long time to complete.
You'll want to get some estimates of time to complete so you can evaluate
whether the project is feasible. If it is a 20 year project your management
may decide that's not something they want you doing for the next 20 years
:-).

You may also discover that some things can't be recovered. Nothing you can
really do about that. You have what you have.

You do need to resolve the application restore problem. You may be able get
temp licenses from your application vendors for a data protection migration
project, since you are not using the databases - just recovering them and
backing them up.

There are companies out there that can do this migration for you but I
couldn't find one that does it for TSM. You might try giving your EMC rep a
call. See if they have a way to do this automatically. I know they've been
working on this kind of stuff.

What is your disaster recovery plan for these applications? You may want to
simply exercise your disaster recovery plan and then do a backup of the
restored environment with NetWorker as your last step.