Networker

[Networker] Migrating backup data from tool "A" to tool "B"

2006-10-06 06:21:58
Subject: [Networker] Migrating backup data from tool "A" to tool "B"
From: Gaddy <xy.0815 AT GMX DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 06:15:01 -0400
Ok, this is a bit off topic,
but I have been asked recently how to migrate data on tapes from
TSM to NetWorker (or NetBackup to TSM or the like).

And I haven't found an easy answer yet.

My theoretical migration scheme would be like this <very first guess>:

1.) have a very big disk (SATA array) at hand
2.) develop a new systematic order for the migrated data sets
    e.g. $clientname_$savetime
3.) create directories/volumes named according to this order
4.) restore datasets into this directory with $OldTool
5.) backup directories/volumes with $NewTool

While this could(?) be a solution for filesystems,
I expect a lot trouble for all those application data
(i.e. R/3, Oracle, Exchange, etc.), which will not
fit easily into a directory scheme like this.
And most of the restores would require the application on
the "migration client".

Sure I know I could keep the old servers/tapes/drives/licenses etc.

But any ideas of solving the problems if I REALY HAVE TO MIGRATE are
pretty much appreciated.
Any body has gone through this nightmare yet?
Are there professional tools available?

Thanks a lot -sg-
--
Steffen Gattert; COMPAREX Hannover, Germany