Networker

Re: [Networker] True Disaster Recovery

2006-10-03 14:10:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] True Disaster Recovery
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 12:03:05 -0600
Rather than lease, get a company to do a quick ship. We have a company that
will
quick ship us 3 servers and 2 tape drives that can read our backup tapes.
Starting with all of our production data being cloned and send off site
daily and "important" media in a DR box offsite with the tapes, this is what
we do for DR.
1) Call to get our equipment delivered to our cold site
2) Set up equipment when it comes at our cold site (46 hrs after #1)
3) Set up the machines as follows
    Networker machine
    Oracle server
    VMWare server
4) do a DR on the networker server
5) restore oracle data
6) restore application server into vmware instances

It all has been tested yearly and it works for us. Downside is it takes
48hrs to get our equipment to the coldsite. Upside is that we use HPUX and
using recovery tapes for the networker and oracle server is  GREAT ;-)

Ken

On 10/3/06, Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT <