Networker

Re: [Networker] multi-threaded/single-threaded

2006-09-21 12:51:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] multi-threaded/single-threaded
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:41:24 -0700

> We've been doing some monitoring on our NetWorker server.  We find that
> one of four CPUs is VERY busy.  I'm guessing this means that something
> within NetWorker is single-threaded.  Is there information somewhere
> about which of the daemons are single-threaded and which are
> multi-threaded?

I would imagine most of the individual networker processes are single
threaded.  But having any number of single threaded jobs should not
cause a single CPU to be overloaded.  Any single threaded job will be
moved to different cpus by the scheduler over time.

> If this information is environment specific, we're running NW 7.2.2 on
> Solaris 10 on a V880.

You might want to run intrstat and see if anything obvious pops out of
it.  It shows interrupt statistics per CPU.  If one of your devices or
busses is generating an especially large amount of interrupts, it could
be overwhelming one of the CPUs.