Networker

Re: [Networker] libgcc_s.so.1 from legato 7.2.1 on RHEL4

2006-08-30 12:07:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] libgcc_s.so.1 from legato 7.2.1 on RHEL4
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:57:50 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] libgcc_s.so.1 from legato 7.2.1 on RHEL4,...:

On Aug 29, 2006, at 5:22 PM, Lars Hecking wrote:

I don't do much with C, but as a guess it sounds like Legato/EMC should
be linking their dynamic libs with an rpath set to avoid the need to put
the path into the system config.

Yes, this is the only correct solution for this situation. Use -rpath
or LD_RUN_PATH at compile time. Modifying ld.so.conf smacks of the bad
habit of many Windoze software installers to replace system dlls with
their own (and break other software in the process).

I disagree.  The only correct solution is to fire the engineer(s) that
came up with this "solution" and hire someone with more than 2 active
neurons.

Understanding the linker and the loader on the platforms they support
has never been a strong point for Legato (and apparently EMC) engineers.
They've made horrible mistakes in that regard since the early days of
the product.  This one is just more obvious than others.

I agree with Lars that -rpath or LD_RUN_PATH is a better option in this
case than the one EMC chose or LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I'm quite
surprised that no one has even suggested static linking.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)

"signoff networker" in the