Networker

Re: [Networker] Questions on Oracle RMAN channels with NetWorker?

2006-08-23 04:52:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Questions on Oracle RMAN channels with NetWorker?
From: Stuart Whitby <swhitby AT DATAPROTECTORS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:47:30 +0100
What people have said so far about this is right.  However, they miss some
fundamental points.

RMAN channels are used to back up Oracle datafiles.  The backup is fully
controlled by RMAN; all NW does is to call RMAN to perform a backup.  The
number of channels are set up in an RMAN script and NetWorker will multiplex
these to tape according to drive availability and the target sessions value.

Thankfully though, with NMO 4.2, an environment variable was introduced which
will force each channel to an individual NW device, overriding any other
considerations.  This is good because, while you may not have your drives
streaming at maximum speed during backup, you will be able to perform
recoveries in a reasonable time.

The problem with multiplexing channels is that tape drives are sequential I/O
devices.  Oracle will quite happily send stream after stream to the same tape.
When it's recovering though, it may take slightly longer to figure out that
it's done with a datafile and that it wants the next one.  With 4 sessions
multiplexed to the same tape, what this results in is one session reading and 3
more waiting until that's done to be able to start their recoveries.  With a
reasonable number of datafiles, this can occur many times during a recovery.

The worst one I've heard of so far was a database that took 3 hours to back up
and over 36 hours to recover, though I'm sure others on this list can come back
with more interesting numbers than that.  There's also the question of
availability while you back up vs downtime when it's entirely down anyway.

While writing this, I've come up with a *possibility* that may help in this
instance anyway - 4 channels for multiplexed backup, 5 channels for recovery.
Should mean that, in theory, you'd have a channel already waiting for the point
on tape where the next datafile starts at all times.  Anyone tried this?

So my answers:
1. Increasing the number of channels can be beneficial for improving drive
utilisation and reducing the backup window, but tests should be performed to
check recovery SLAs.

2. One database has multiple datafiles.  If you have all night to do this,
probably best to use just one channel.  If you have a short backup window or
it's a non-critical database, best to use multiple channels.  If it's a
critical database, have 2 mirrors on disk, put Oracle into hot backup mode,
break the mirror (or take a snapshot), mount the mirror/snap elsewhere and back
up at one channel per tape drive from there.

3. Depends.  Preferably for recovery purposes (with NMO 4.2), but not
necessarily.

Cheers,

Stuart.