Networker

Re: [Networker] Decision Time for Networker v7.3.x

2006-08-17 08:50:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Decision Time for Networker v7.3.x
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:43:21 -0400
Clark, Patricia wrote:
We are going to be migrating our current Networker system from Sun
Solaris 9, NW v7.2.1-1 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  We are also in the
process of moving our support to EMC/Legato.  I'm at a point where I
need to install the OS and the decision is this, stay with NW v7.2.x
which requires installing RHEL3 or bite the bullet and go to NW v7.3.x
which would allow me to install RHEL4.  If I do the "safe" thing, it
will require an OS upgrade in the probable near future AND a NW upgrade.

I was faced with a similar choice and choose the NW v7.3.0 + RHEL4 route. Boy, that was a mistake. I should have left the backup server as RHEL3 and stuck with NW v7.2.x. However, since all our clients were also migrating to RHEL4 I wanted to keep things "simple" in terms of patch management and other admin work. Again, big mistake. :)

Our current setup is relatively simple, 1 server, 1 tape library, no
additional nodes, no cloning, no special modules.  Right now, we backup
Linux, Solaris, and OS X clients on a 6 month tape rotation cycle.  We
will be adding our Windows servers to the clients.

I have a similar environment. Currently NW v7.3.1 on RHEL4 with RHEL4 and RHEL3 clients. I also have just one server, one storage node, and don't do any cloning and special modules.

The question, is the latest Networker v7.3.x stable enough?  I don't
have a test environment to play with and starting up fresh with a new
server is the closest thing that I will have to having some elbow room.
I've been reading the various postings with keen interest since we have
other technical reasons to move forward.  Comments?  Have things settled
down some?

Right now I'm only checking my NW server once per week instead of daily. I don't use NWC because it is just plain wonky enough not to be trusted compared to the true state of the server. In NW v7.3.1 I did hit a nasty bug with the recover(8) exec (possibly also in nwrecover?) that eventually Legato/EMC was able to resolve. I don't have LPT number for it at this time but it's something you want to look into for your 7.3.x clients if you ever plan to restore files.

My nsrexecd on the NW v7.3.1 server still segfaults now and then. When this happens all backups stop until nsrexecd is restarted. It's been stated on list the problem appears to be related to the new authentication method which can be disabled. It's not something I've gotten around to yet, a cron job was easier to configure.

You're most likely in better shape today going to NW v7.3.1 than I was going to NW v7.3.0. I think I would still wait a bit longer though, maybe NW 7.3.2 or 7.3.3 as I hear the v7.3.2 release will have "new features" that could result in additional problems before the 7.3.x line is settled down.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com>
IBM Linux Technology Center, System Admin

"signoff networker" in the