Networker

Re: [Networker] New-Bee?: restoring from BU Srvr A -> BU Srvr B

2006-08-16 10:15:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] New-Bee?: restoring from BU Srvr A -> BU Srvr B
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:13:03 -0400
On Aug 16, 2006, at 9:56 AM — 8/16/06, Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT wrote:

Environment
        Windows 2003 Servers
        Networker 6.2.1
        T-1
        LTO2 Tapes
        ADIC Libraries
        I have network access to all servers from my location.

Sit-Rep:
Backup Server A
        Located in NYC

Backup Server B
        Located in Aloha State

Disaster recovery plan calls for backup tapes from Server A to be sent
to location B and vice-versa.

Now we want to test.

We are going to attempt to restore a "tape from BU Server B" using BU
Server A Restoring "TO BU Server B" across the network.

The rub here is the tape from server B is NOT in server A's index.

Any suggestions on best way to proceed and commands needed? Better yet
caveats? When I read this I imagine I should be able to put the tape in
my local library, read the tape and restore it. I know there has to be
more to it than that. The info on this tape is not in the index on my
backup server.

Sincerest thanks in advance for not telling me to RTFM.

First off, why are you using version 6.2.1? That version is no longer supported. Can you run at least version 7.2.2 on your pair of backup servers?

Second, is there any chance your two servers can share a disk volume? I have never tried this, so I am just thinking out loud, but you may be able to place your client file and media index directories on a shared disk volume. Then if you license the backup server exactly the same way as the production server, you may be able to simply start up the backup server and have it work the same way as your primary server BUT you can't run both servers at the same time.

Another alternative is to do long-distance disk-to-disk replication of your primary NetWorker server to your backup server.

Your options really depend on how large your client file index is and the number of clients you back up each night.

Also, what is your time frame for recovering your data at the DR site? If necessary, you can mmrecov a copy of your most recent bootstrap volume at the DR site then recover your client file index data, but that path is likely to require a lot of time. The amount of time is also contingent on the number of files that are tracked in your client file index. More files in the database, means more time to recover the database.

I am sure some others on this list will offer some different ideas that may be better than what I just posted, but you never know!

"signoff networker" in the