Networker

Re: [Networker] Decision Time for Networker v7.3.x

2006-08-14 12:30:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Decision Time for Networker v7.3.x
From: Daniel Rich <drich AT PDI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:30:02 -0700
Stan Horwitz wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2006, at 11:46 AM — 8/14/06, Clark, Patricia wrote:
>
>> We are going to be migrating our current Networker system from Sun
>> Solaris 9, NW v7.2.1-1 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  We are also in the
>> process of moving our support to EMC/Legato.  I'm at a point where I
>> need to install the OS and the decision is this, stay with NW v7.2.x
>> which requires installing RHEL3 or bite the bullet and go to NW v7.3.x
>> which would allow me to install RHEL4.  If I do the "safe" thing, it
>> will require an OS upgrade in the probable near future AND a NW upgrade.
>>
>> Our current setup is relatively simple, 1 server, 1 tape library, no
>> additional nodes, no cloning, no special modules.  Right now, we backup
>> Linux, Solaris, and OS X clients on a 6 month tape rotation cycle.  We
>> will be adding our Windows servers to the clients.
>>
>> The question, is the latest Networker v7.3.x stable enough?  I don't
>> have a test environment to play with and starting up fresh with a new
>> server is the closest thing that I will have to having some elbow room.
>> I've been reading the various postings with keen interest since we have
>> other technical reasons to move forward.  Comments?  Have things settled
>> down some?
>
> Doing a server migration and an upgrade to NetWorker at the same time
> just has "trouble" written all over it. This is especially true with
> NetWorker 7.3.1, due to the reports of problems with it that have
> already surfaced on this list.
>
> My suggestion is that you do your server migration first. Delay your
> NetWorker upgrade until the next NetWorker version is available. This
> will allow you to isolate any problems that might occur with your RH
> Linux server rather than trying to determine whether the problem with
> with the OS or the new NetWorker version. Waiting also gives EMC time
> to get the resolve some of the outstanding issues with NetWorker 7.3.1.

As someone who currently has 8 cases open with EMC/Legato for 7.3 issues
and regularly has to "baby sit" my backup server to keep it up and
running, I'd recommend staying with 7.2.x for now.  In my case the
server seems to run mostly fine as long as it's lightly loaded.  Once
the load starts to climb all sorts of fun things happen -- ranging from
daemons that hang to tapes that can't be relabeled to general
strangeness with the media database.

Oh, and if you have a stock RHEL4 install with the tcllib RPM installed
NMC won't run -- at all.  There are conflicts between the include file
names in the lgtonmc rpm and tcllib.  Legato might have it fixed by 7.4,
hopefully you don't need to manage your server in the meantime.

--
Dan Rich <drich AT pdi DOT com>
          PDI Dreamworks |  "Step up to red alert!"  "Are you sure, sir?