Networker

[Networker] Dropped Connection Ports

2006-08-10 14:25:09
Subject: [Networker] Dropped Connection Ports
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT CHANNELDATA.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:18:08 +0200
Hi All,

Slow link so no opportunity to go rumage the archives - so please forgive if
this has been discussed before (which I know it has).

I have an issue where "large" file backups eventually time out (i.e. a 6 hour
200GB sql single file sql dump).

>From memory I know that the "tcp\ip keepalivetime" parameter needs to be set.
>this has been done and the server (client) in question rebooted. The next
>backup failed in the same way.

I am sure this is a connection port only problem as the saveset is there ans a
saveset recovery does work - so it is only the last bit (index entry) that is
failing. Memory doesnt server me so well anymore and I have forgotten whether
this last bit get initiated by the client or the server (i.e. where to try and
look for the ports being closed down).

This is only a rather old client (7.1.1 - which we are upgrading to 7.1.4),
there is unfortunately no option to go 7.2 or even 7.3 (their management want a
full proof of cocept testing ... etc etc ... ).

It is Windows 2000 (across the board), latest SP - with NO funny hotfixes that
"fix" the keepalive time to 300 milliseconds (been there, solved that).

It is on the same level 3 switch (same switch , different vlan's). With Gbit
throughout (large SQL module backups form other clients arent an issue. This
particular client HAS to backup via the dump - while we convince their
management in the wisdom of going BSM)...

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Your help, as always, is appreciated!

Regards,
Riaan