Networker

Re: [Networker] Finding a tape

2006-08-02 14:50:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Finding a tape
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:47:39 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Finding a tape, Brett Monroe said (at 9:16am...:

Yes...it's been frustrating.  It would be nice if the NSR notifications
exported a bunch of info as variables to the called scripts (like which
savegroup has just finished, when it started, when it finished, etc).  It
seems I will be forced to make assumptions that I don't want to make.

What I am currently doing is:

mminfo -v -t "$(date '+%m/%d/%y')" -r 'volume'

but it breaks down if the backup crosses midnight (will only get the final
volume when the script runs).  If I include the previous day, I might (and
sometimes do) include volumes from a previous backup.  I will look at
grabbing the start and finish time from the savegroup report and see if that
works out.

I definitely understand your frustrations.  Both Darren and Itzik had
good tips that might help in your situation.

If you only need to do this for one group, you could use Darren's nsradmin
example (the second one) and hardcode the group name in your nsradmin
command, and then use the time it returns exactly as he shows with
sscreate in the mminfo query.

If you need to do this for a few groups, you could do the same thing, but
you would need to use a different notification for each one, since the
group names will be different.

There are several ways to approach the problem, it all depends on your
environment and the tradeoffs that make sense in that environment.
Without knowing exactly what you're doing with this information, it's hard
to give really good tips.

There might be other tricks (such as using the -ot argument to mminfo to
order savesets, and therefore volumes, by time) that would apply under
certain circumstances that make the particular problem you're facing
easier to solve, but only someone that's very familiar with your
environment could determine whether those shortcuts apply.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)

"signoff networker" in the