Networker

[Networker] Cannot recover old backups from UNC path?

2006-08-01 19:19:49
Subject: [Networker] Cannot recover old backups from UNC path?
From: Rodney Rutherford <rrutherf AT TRIPOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:58:41 -0500
Environment configs:

        Host            OS              NW
        -------         -----------     ------
        WinClient-A     W2K SP3         7.2.1

        WinClient-B     W2K3 SP1        7.2.1

        Server          X86/RHEL 3.0u7  7.2.2

We used to backup our NAS CIFS filesystems on WinClient-A via UNC paths.
We have since decomissioned WinClient-A and moved the CIFS backups to
WinClient-B.

I can recover files via the UNC path fine on WinClient-B if they were
backed up via WinClient-B.

However, if I try to recover the data from a backup that was done via
WinClient-A, and restore it to WinClient-B via a directed recover, it
reports:

> Recovering files of client 'WinClient-A' from server 'blackhole' to
> client 'WinClient-B'.
> Recover: Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 112 MB.
> Recovering 1074 files into their original locations
> Requesting 1074 file(s), this may take a while...
> Didn't recover requested file \\S01-FILESRV01\C$\dept_root\dept\Dev\file
> Didn't recover requested file \\S01-FILESRV01\C$\dept_root\dept\Dev\file2
> Received 0 file(s) from NSR server `blackhole'
> Recover completion time: Mon Jul 31 16:17:43 2006

There are no error messages of any kind on the client or the server
to indicate why it is not recovering the files.

If I try mapping a NAS network drive and creating a directory there to
relocate the recover to, it fails with:

> Start time:  8-01-06 10:58a
> Recovering files of client 'WinClient-A' from server 'WinClient-B'.
> Recovering files within / into Z:\WinClient-A
> Z:\WinClient-A\S01-FILESRV01\C$\dept_root\dept\Accounting\file.xls
> Recover: cannot write to
> Z:\WinClient-A\S01-FILESRV01\C$\dept_root\dept\Accounting\file.xls:
> No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
> Recover: error recovering
> Z:\WinClient-A\S01-FILESRV01\C$\dept_root\dept\Accounting\file.xls
> Recover: recover failed: Error receiving files from NSR server `blackhole'
> Recover completion time: Tue Aug 01 11:00:38 2006

We run the NetWorker service using a service account that has the proper
permissions for the NAS device.  The account changed between the two
systems, so we tried changing the service account on WinClient-B to match
what was on WinClient-A, yet it still fails.  The user doing the recover
is an admin user with full rights.

If I update the permissions on the relocation directory by adding the
service account user with full permissions, I no longer get the security
message, but it then just reports the "Didn't recover requested file", and
still doesn't recover the files.  This is also true if I try relocating
to a directory on the local C:\ drive.

So finally, we brought the old WinClient-A back online (it hadn't been
rebuilt yet), and tried recovering the CIFS data to the original location.
It also fails with the "Didn't recover requested file"!

I have tried recovering from a different saveset/volume, with the same
results.  The info for the saveset in question is:

name: \\s01-filesrv01\c$\dept_root\dept
saveset info:

lvl   date    volume     ssflags nfiles browse   retent   created
full 07/15/06 B060440L2  vF      450760 07/15/07 07/14/08 07/15/06

I am only actually trying to recover 112MB of the 140GB in the savset.

I have also tried adding my windows admin account and the service account
to the remote user field in the NetWorker client configs, as well as to
the NetWorker server admin configs, and it doesn't make a difference either.

The other odd thing I have noticed is that when I browse the UNC path
that was backed up on WinClient-A, and select "view versions" for a file,
it shows me all the versions, but the option to mark a previous version
is grayed out.  However, I can change the browse time and mark the older
version that way.  Selecting "view versions" for recent backups on
WinClient-B allows me to mark previous versions just fine.

If I try doing a saveset recover on my RHEL backup server, it appears to be
reading the data, but nothing is written to the destination directory.
When I control-c the recover it reports:

        recover: xdr checksum failed

I also tried the saveset recover from a Solaris host, with the same
results.

It is as if the recover is unable to read the actual data on the tape,
even though it properly reports all file info correctly in the index,
yet I get no error messages of any kind related to that.  I have tried
different files, paths, savesets, etc. all with the same problem.

To summarize, I can successfully:

- browse the WinClient-A indexes on WinClient-B

- recover WinClient-A local disk data to WinClient-B

- backup UNC path data on WinClient-B and restore it to WinClient-B
  in its original location

- recover UNC path data and relocate it to a local disk directory
  to/from WinClient-B

- recover UNC path data and relocate it to a mapped network disk
  directory to/from WinClient-B

However, the one thing I cannot do is to recover data that was backed
up on WinClient-A via UNC paths using WinClient-A or WinClient-B for
the recovery, via any method:

- cannot recover WinClient-A UNC path data to WinClient-B using
  original UNC paths.  Message just says: "Didn't recover requested file"

- cannot recover WinClient-A UNC path data relocated to a local dir
  on WinClient-B.  Message just says: "Didn't recover requested file"

- cannot recover WinClient-A UNC path data relocated to a mapped
  network drive on WinClient-B.
        With a single file test, the file is actually written, but
        it reports "No mapping between account names and security IDs
        was done." If I add the service account to the directory perms,
        it no longer reports the security message, and instead it just
        says "Didn't recover requested file".

- cannot recover WinClient-A UNC path data via a saveset recover
  on WinClient-B.
        The first file is written, and it reports "No mapping between
        account names and security IDs was done.", and then the saveset
        recover fails.  If I add the service account to the directory
        perms, it just says "Didn't recover requested file".

- cannot recover WinClient-A UNC path data on WinClient-A using any
  of the above methods.

I am currently running a "scanner -in -S" on the saveset to verify
the actual data on it.

Any ideas or suggestions on why we cannot recover this data?

Thanks,

Rodney

"signoff networker" in the