Networker

[Networker] Solstice help needed

2006-08-01 01:40:58
Subject: [Networker] Solstice help needed
From: don karnash <donkarnash AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:36:15 -0700
Hi,

  I got your mail id from the Networker mailing list at
https://listserv.temple.edu. Sorry to write to you directly, but I am very new
to the world of Networker and there is no one to help / guide me. So I see your
advise. This is what the scenario is:

  Server OS: Solaris 8
  Networker: Solstice Backup server 6.1
  Tape: HP Sure Storage 4/40 with autoloader

  Now, my doubts are:

   We user the Ultrium tapes with 200 GB capacity. But when I do a media check,
I get the following:
# mminfo ?m
     volume               written  (%)             expires             read
mounts             capacity
     BD5445L1          109 GB full            08/16/06          0 KB    57
              100 GB
  Why does the capacity show only as 100 GB. How can I change it to recognize
as 200 GB. The data tapes are 200 GB Part #: C7971A and the cleaning tapes are:
Part #: C7979A

   I have only 2 groups which I backup (NT & UNIX) and I want to have an
offside backup, I can create a group called backup and add both my groups to
the pool and copy the data every weekend. But if this building catches fire,
how will I recover from the tapes that are sitting in a different state.

   How can I configure that some other machine in a different state can recover
from the tapes. Even if so, do I need another HP Sure Storage 4/40 to read the
tapes ??? If not how can I have a DR plan.

   The HP Sure Storage 4/40 has 40 slots. I am now aware what is the mailslot
and what is the cleaning tape. We use barcode reader and I have stickers from a
company called Tri Optic for the data tapes but I do not have any labels for
the cleaning tape. Can you advise me what is the cleaning tape and the mail
slot used for.

   How can I order more labels for the cleaning tape and once I receive them,
how do I tell Solistice to recognize it (Do I do an inventory) Also which slot
should the cleaning tape go to.

   What is the normal life of these tapes. I assume they have not been changed
in last 4 years. How can I tell they are expired or if they need replacement. I
do not want to be in a situation that the tape from where I want to recover, is
corrupt or damaged.

   Solstice is running on UNIX. I am not unix admin and I think I should move
it to a Proliant server running Windows 2003 server configured with RAID 5 so
that even if there is HDD failure, I can swap the HDD and the raid will build
by itself. I have licenses for 10 clients. What would be the best way to do
this.

   if I do have a offside group, and run the backup of the tapes to the group
every week end, I guess I will have to change/remove them on Monday and send
them. Isn?t it.

   What is cloning. Is that similar to doing an offside backup group ?

   As a newbie what can I check to make sure the backup?s are fine and incase
of a recovery scenario, I am not found unprepared and lose my job. I do
/usr/sbin/nsr/mminfo -t 'yesterday' to check the files backed up over night.
What else do I need to check.

   Can  you give me a DR plan that I can try and implement. I am thinking of
having a test machine (each of UNIX & NT) and back them and then thrash them
and do a recover. Any guidance on doing this.

   What happens in the scenario that the backup server which runs the Solstice
software has a HDD crash. How can I recover files then ??
   Sorry to ask so many questions, but I do not know who can help me. I am
trying to get some help on Solstice from a couple of months and I would
appreciate if you could guide me. Thanks a lot in advance.

  Regards

  karnash