Networker

Re: [Networker] Index File Size?

2006-07-31 13:13:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Index File Size?
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:11:39 -0400
Matthew> With Networker 7.1 you should be looking at DSA backups for
Matthew> the NetApps rather than NFS. With DSA, you can keep the
Matthew> drives attached to your Networker Server and/or Storage
Matthew> Node. The streams are parallel and are treated like any other
Matthew> NetApp backup.  I would recommend a seperate VLAN and
Matthew> separate interfaces for the backups including tweaking the
Matthew> backup servers TCP/IP settings and running Jumbo frames, but
Matthew> even if you don't, it should be better than NFS backups.

Interesting.  Poking around the http://software.emc.com/... stuff, I
don't see anything explicitly talking about this.  I assume this is
NDMP by another name?

The problem I've seen with NDMP is that it barfs with restores of over
a million files, and I have users who have directories/qtrees which
exceed this level.  Annoying, yes, but not something I can do anything
about.

Matthew> DSA is built-in to Networker (although you have to have NDMP
Matthew> client licenses).

Interesting.  Can you give us more details, such as what DSA really
stands for?  And how you're using it, if you are using it?  I'm always
looking for a better way to backup my NetApps.

Thanks,
John
    John Stoffel - Senior Staff Systems Administrator - System LSI Group
  Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. - http://www.toshiba.com/taec
             john.stoffel AT taec.toshiba DOT com - 508-486-1087