Networker

[Networker] Question on target sessions?

2006-07-20 17:32:34
Subject: [Networker] Question on target sessions?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:31:22 -0400
Hi,

Why is it that if the total number of save sets for a group exceeds the
value of the drive target sessions (in our case 4), and you only have
one writable tape, NetWorker will wait until the first 4 save sets have
completed before sending the next pending ones to tape?

NetWorker does ask for a second writable tape, and yes, if I had one
available, it would mount it, and then it would be writing 4 save sets
to drive 1 and 4 to drive 2, but I don't understand why it can't start
sending save sets that were previously pending to drive 1 as soon as one
of the running save sets completes. Instead, it seems to want to wait
until all 4 are complete, it then pauses for a minute and then continues
with the next 4, and so on. Is this normal behavior? It would be nice if
 it could send stuff there as soon as something frees up and not wait.

We have 7.2.2 running on a Solaris test server, using a Linux storage
node. The tape library is on the storage node. It has 4 SDLT 600 drives,
each set to 4 target sessions, but I currently have only one writable
tape. The parallelism for the clients is set to default of 4, and the
server's parallelism is 20. I have a group of 8 clients and a total of
10 save sets for this test.

Thanks.

George