Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning from Disk

2006-07-19 11:05:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning from Disk
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:03:13 -0600
Our current and preferred setup (by the Oracle DBA's) is backup to disk and
then clone to tape.

We tried staging to ensure that our disk device doesn't fill up during long
weekend and holidays, but our Oracle DBA's got used to 'quick restores'
and refresh using the savesets from the disk backup device instead of the
cloned tapes. It is much faster to restore from disk than tapes not to mention
if your clone tapes are already sent to offsite storage. The size of our disk
device allows us to save at least a week's worth of incremental and full
Unix/Oracle backups, so it doesn't matter if you need to restore from day 1 to
the last day of the week, they are all in just 1 big storage - no need to do
volume search, mounting and unmounting.

regards,
Librado

>>> swhitby AT DATAPROTECTORS.CO DOT UK 19/Jul/2006 1:53 am >>>

The oldest VTL that I know of is FalconStor (going on product maturity etc. -
www.falconstor.com).  No personal recommendation, just pointing it out.  There
are also VTLs from EMC and others.  The benefit with the EMC one is that it
will (not sure whether through NW or simply on its own) clone to a physical
tape library attached to the back end.  I believe it will require NW 7.3.1 or
you may have to wait for 7.3.2 for that to function though, and there will
still be product maturity issues for some time to come.

Personal experience with the CDL were good in terms of response times.  Tape
loads and positioning are immediate, but I didn't try something like an Oracle
recover.  Remember, these things are designed to work EXACTLY like tapes;
including reading from a specific position.  To recover your data quickly when
you have a new saveset recovery start from a point on tape before the current
one, you're still likely to have to wait until the "tape" can reposition to
start streaming that data off.

Unless someone knows different.....

Cheers,

Stuart.