Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning from Disk

2006-07-18 07:34:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning from Disk
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:31:50 -0700
> The VTLs also have their problems, mostly down to a lack of maturity
> on the software side.

*bing* *bing*

Strong agreement.  2-3 years ago, I was not happy with the disk backup
features in either Networker or Netbackup.  I felt that they hadn't been
used heavily by enough admins.  I would have gone with a "simpler" model
with VTL (it had some advantages of reducing modifications in the backup
configuration as well).

After greater use of the disk backup mechanisms and putting up with bugs
and problems of a VTL, I'd now start any redesign with a preference for
keeping it within the backup product rather than introducing a separate
piece.