Networker

Re: [Networker] Switch

2006-07-17 11:21:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Switch
From: "Greggs, Dana" <c-dgreggs AT STATE.PA DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:20:31 -0400
I wouldn't even though I have had my pains with Networker (particularly
5.x and 6.0). Other than Networker 7.3.x which I upgraded to but rolled
back to 7.2.2, Networker just works. We have it fine tuned to a science.
99% of the time if there is a problem it's the client or the Network. We
have 4 backup Servers and 4 Tape Libraries that are SAN attached with
LTO2 drives backing up over 400 Servers running Linux and Windows and
hosting MSSQL, Oracle, VMWare and Web applications. We backup over 3 TB
of data daily. Our Database backups are compressing 3 to 1 and our write
speed averages 35 MBs - 55 MBs with sustained bursts up to the 80 MBs
limit.

The things I most like about Networker are threefold. 1.) It backs up
more platforms than any other software period. 2.) With the exception of
application modules (SQL, Exchange, etc) most functionality is already
in the bits. You just need an enabler aka license to unlock them. 3.) It
is the most scriptable backup software out there.

Yes it is not as idiot friendly as NetBackup but its weakness is its
strength. It is far more extensible and granular than Netbackup. I have
used ArcServe, NetBackup, TSM and personally I have found Networker is
best suited for the Enterprise (IMHO).

Thanks,

Dana