Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning from Disk

2006-07-12 14:28:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning from Disk
From: "Greggs, Dana" <c-dgreggs AT STATE.PA DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:27:45 -0400
The bottle neck is the single scsi channel with daisy chained drives.
Scsi will drop down to the lowest level common speed between the drives
and the scsi card. LTO is a streaming technology and it uses speed match
to ensure it has a constant feed of data to write so that its doesn't
have to stop/start, rewind, etc. The lowest it can drop down to is 17
MB/sec. If data isn't pushed fast enough to it then it stops. Caches
data and starts. Because of buffers and caches (scsi card and tape
drives) it does appear to be stopping and restarting but it does.

If possible you should put your drives on separate channels. Try writing
data to only one tape drive, you'll get better performance. I push
terabytes of data to one tape drive and I have hit 80 MB/sec write
speed.

Do you have hardware compression enabled?

Thanks,

Dana