Networker

Re: [Networker] Remote admin of Windows drives

2006-07-04 18:03:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Remote admin of Windows drives
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 07:57:56 +1000
> I'm trying to write a script which will run on one of our Unix servers to
> recycle tapes on a Windows NetWorker Server.  However, I can't pass the
> \\.\Tape0 across correctly.
>
> At present, the closest I can get is to do something along the lines of:
>   nsrmm -s <server> -f \\\\\\\\.\\\\Tape0
> to try to pass the correct device name.

I agree with Stan's comments that you might be better off running these
commands directly on the Windows machine; however, would recommend simply
installing ActiveState Perl or something along those lines and using that.

However, that being said, my gut feeling would be to configure the NetWorker
server to accept the Unix server as a "server" (via the /nsr/res/servers)
file, so that you can make use of the remote exec functionality. (The same
thing you'd use to remote-control a jukebox.)

For example, on a Linux host talking to a Windows NetWorker server I can do
the following:

export RUSER=root
export RCMD=nsrmm
nsrexec -c furling

This returns the results of running "nsrmm" on the Windows machine.

Extending that to look at a single drive I did:

export RUSER=root
export RCMD="nsrmm -p -f N:\\01"
nsrexec -c furling

Which worked at printing the device label for a single drive. I don't have a
tape drive connected to that machine (test only) but I believe the escape
characters properly translate across via this mechanism, hence you should be
able to do:

export RUSER=root
export RCMD="nsrmm -s server -f \\\\.\\Tape0"
nsrexec -c server

Cheers,

Preston de Guise.