Networker

Re: [Networker] read open error: No error

2006-06-22 12:31:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] read open error: No error
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:29:52 -0500
Gary,

I've occasionally seen this error but it's always cleared up by retrying the
operation.  Rarely it has taken more than one retry.  When that happened I
ran the cleaning tape through twice in a row and that seemed to clear it up.

For me it has always happened when I was manually mounting a tape in the
drive, not during normal backup operations (not even when the backup
automatically mounted a new tape to continue a backup).  I always figured it
was a timing issue where Networker timed out the operation before the drive
was ready but when it checked the drive for an error it got 'No Error'.
Since it isn't a big problem (it's been 6 months since the last time) I
haven't done anything about it.

We have Networker 7.2.1.Build.311 on W2K with a Spectralogic 10K jukebox and
2 AIT-4 drives.  We upgraded from AIT-2 about 9 months ago and the problem
was more common on the AIT-2 drives.

About 6 months ago I started running the cleaning tapes through both of our
AIT-4 drives twice in a row once a week and I haven't seen the problem
since.  That of course might be a coincidence.

If cleaning doesn't help then I guess I'd be looking at the drives or the
tapes you are using.

This message probably wasn't all that helpful but no one else appears to be
answering I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon
dave.werth AT garmin DOT com