Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.1 not recommended by me

2006-06-22 06:34:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.1 not recommended by me
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:27:21 +0200
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Davina Treiber wrote:

DT> Siobhán Ellis wrote:
DT> > I would NOT recommend going to 7.3.1,
DT> I would be very reluctant to advise anyone to move to 7.3.anything at
DT> the moment.
DT>
DT> In my view, 7.2.1 is the best and most stable version of NetWorker there
DT> has ever been. Haven't used 7.2.2 but expect it would be at least as
DT> good. Also I rather like the old brown and green GUI, it's like an old
DT> friend and I'm going to miss it when I move to the sluggish Java based
DT> NMC. I would need a very good reason to move to 7.3.x and will be
DT> advising my current customer to stay on 7.2.1, possibly until it goes eol.

I would recommend that too, and we would have done so ourselves unless it
was for the following policy:

- Customer: I have a problem with .... ........ .... .. ...... ...... .
How can I fix that? What is the cause? Are there any work-arounds?
- Networker support: Upgrade to networker 7.3.1 and see if the problem
persists.

[Customer upgrades to 7.3.1]

- Customer: ARGH! It didn't solve my problem, and now I have three even
more critical problems that I need to get fixed ASAP!
- Networker support: Have you checked that there are no problems with name
resolution or the network?
- Customer: (now really annoyed) YES! For f*cks sake, now go investigate
the problem!
- Networker support: Please hold.

And that's about how good as it gets. ;)

//Oscar