Networker

Re: [Networker] /tmp Solaris

2006-06-21 12:38:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] /tmp Solaris
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:31:28 -0500
Jeff,

A tmpfs file system is never an appropriate place to store a file you want
to keep since it exists in memory (and swap space) and is recreated as an
empty file system whenever the system reboots.  Since you can't always
control when a system goes down and gets rebooted you can't count retaining
anything stored there.  As the name implies it's for temporary files that
don't need to be retained past the immediate use they are being put to.

I guess you could back it up but it's better to just use the /tmp file
system as it was intended to be used.

If you really want to retain the information on /tmp you could edit
/etc/vfstab to make it a ufs (or other disk based) file system but you'd
still have to edit the Networker directives.  One advantage to a tmpfs that
the Sun documentation lists is that being memory based it's much faster than
disk based file systems so changing that may affect performance.

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon
dave.werth AT garmin DOT com