Networker

Re: [Networker] Reporting software - Bocada

2006-06-20 11:31:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Reporting software - Bocada
From: Daniel Rich <drich AT PDI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:28:00 -0700
Eric Haupt wrote:
> Good morning, I am looking for feedback please on Bocada's reporting
> software for use with NetWorker. For those who are using Bocada or have in
> the past what is your opinion on it's integration and accuracy with
> NetWorker. Also, what has been your experience with Bocada support, product
> deployment and maintenance.
>   I had looked into Bocada last summer, but we deceided that it was too
> expensive at that time. Bocada has recently changed it's pricing strategy
> and gone to a software subscribtion model that makes it a much more
> affordable option for us.
>   I have seen the nice list at
> http://www.openbackup.org/backup-reporting/tools/ and have looked at some of
> these solutions. NetWorker 7.3.x has some improved reporting, but is still
> lacking imho.

I have used Bocada for reporting in the past, but stopped when we
upgraded to 7.2.1, due to some incompatibilities and the loss of our
Microsoft SQLServer database (long story, stupid junior admin mistake).
I have heard that the problems we were having with 7.2.1 have been fixed
and it supposedly works well with 7.3.  Now I just need our Windows
admins to locate the SQLServer media so they can reinstall the
database.... :)

Personally I find their reporting tools to be fantastic.  I have an
extremely high volume server (I backup around 50TB/month) and it was
perfect for forecasting my future device and tape needs.  When I had a
couple of junior admins working for me who handled the day-to-day
operations, they used the success reports daily to keep an eye on how
things were going with the server and the savesets.  I was just starting
to get involved with their web published reports when we lost our
database, but I was planning on using those to keep upper management
informed.

I also can't say enough good things about their support organization.  I
have had calls returned in a matter of minutes, as they keep an eye on
their e-mail constantly with their blackberries.  Their support people
are knowledgeable and aren't afraid to admit if you've found a bug --
and are almost always quick with a fix (unlike a certain backup software
company).

However, with all of the above, you should take a look at the reports
that are provided as part of 7.3.  They can't do everything that Bocada
can do, but they do cover quite a bit of the same territory.

--
Dan Rich <drich AT pdi DOT com>
          PDI Dreamworks |  "Step up to red alert!"  "Are you sure, sir?