Networker

[Networker] Firmware and Driver Holy Moly Updates!!!

2006-06-15 17:31:57
Subject: [Networker] Firmware and Driver Holy Moly Updates!!!
From: Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT <Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:34:44 -0400
I have one of our servers and libraries that has been giving me a fit.

Everytime the tapes get full and I have to swap out tapes, I take the
library off-line, open the door, replace the tapes go on-line start an
inventory and POOEY, at least one drive goes into service mode.

Yeah-yeah, power cycle the library and reboot the server and life should
be good, eh? Well yes and no... Mostly NO. So this time I decided to
call my friends at ADIC (we have a Scalar 100 w/LTO2 drives attached to
a 2003 Win Server)...

I spoke with Dr. Tim Fuchs and Nurse Melissa Nippers, they were awesome.
What I discovered is I inherited an undone MESS... We had this backup
system setup by ADIC contractors and then an adic sales engineer but
that was last year.

The windows drivers for the tape drives (when you click on driver
details) instead of 1 *.sys file showed 3 files including a *.dll file..
/Huh? Had to uninstall and reinstall the tape drives after downloading
new drivers from Adaptec and IBM.

The tape drivers were the 6.0.8.6 and were the OEM drivers from 2002. I
updated those.

While reviewing we also discovered the SCSI driver for our adaptec 29160
(yeah I know old controller) was from 2002, so we elected to update that
too.

Then we were like what the heck, check the firmware on the tapedrives
well sugar my shorts, we had 4AP0 firmware, we updated that to the new
53Y2.

By the way used since we have IBM LTO2 drives we used a slick 90k
program that an ibm employee created called TDX... Very slick and much
faster than trying to do that via windows or telnet or whatever...

Finally noticed I was getting a trail of SCSI errors, while I was at it
climbed behind the server rack and noticed that the terminator was not
on tight. Reboot all and now everything seems to be ok.

<Wiping my brow> I thought this was going to be a 5 minute job, is it
Friday yet? <Grin>

Semper Workus like too hardus for too littlus... <Grin> /ALE