Networker

Re: [Networker] Bad Block Errors on Legato Server

2006-06-15 10:04:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bad Block Errors on Legato Server
From: Tape King <tapeking01 AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:03:52 -0700
I wanted to repost this to see if anyone can help.
  Constantly getting these bad block errors on several tapes drives and all
different new tapes.
  Please help!
  TIA

Tape King <tapeking01 AT YAHOO DOT COM> wrote:
  Hi All,
I run legato 7.2.1 on windows 2000 SP4 as my legato server.
I have fiber HP LTO2 tape drives.
I have all the latest windows drivers, patches and tape drive firmware.

My problem is i intermittently have been getting these bad block messages for
over 9 months. I get several of them in one week, then they go away for a month
or 2, then they come back.
I have opened a case with legato, storagetek and HP. They all claim it is bad
tapes. But I can usually reuse the bad tape with no problems at a later date.
I have also sent some of the tapes back to the maker and they test out OK.
Any idea what is the cause of this?
It happens on all my tape drives at one time or another and all different tapes.
I have replaced several tape drives and tried 3 different brands of tapes, but
it still keeps popping up periodically.
I have had my server, library, tape drives, switches, hbas and cables all
checked out. They all seem OK.

Every time it happens I get this error in the windows event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: hplto
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7