Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC NetWorker 7.3.1 Service Pack release date

2006-06-12 03:06:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC NetWorker 7.3.1 Service Pack release date
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:01:13 +0200
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Ben Deng wrote:

BD> * NetWorker 7.3.2 is targeted for GA early September and will
BD> incorporate RFEs and new features and originally planned for NetWorker
BD> 7.3.1. This includes:

Can someone from EMC please comment on the startegy behind this apparently
new release strategy? And I hope there are more reasons than to push new
features more rapidly on the market, at the expense of quality.

The way I see it, bugfixes will now be made in releases which will also
incorporate many new features, with their own set of bugs/problems and
other interop problems. This way, I don't really see how one could decide
on a fairly stable release. I can only speculate if this is due to the
fact that marketing needs to be able to say "Yes, we have that too", or if
EMC testing is too poor do discover most major problems so they decided to
push code more rapidly on production customers to do the testing for them
(like we already did since we were running the first release of 7.3).

Either way, I think this will hurt EMC's image even more, and both lower
the share of new customers, but also force current customers to migrate to
a new backup solution, regardless of the costs involved in doing so.

//Oscar