Networker

Re: [Networker] Sizing a Linux x86 server for Networker

2006-06-02 07:21:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sizing a Linux x86 server for Networker
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 05:08:23 -0600
Probably not a great choice for networker. We have a linux box and are in
the process of migrating to an HP rp4410 and a Quantum PX510 with 8 LTO3
drives. I love Linux but it seems to have the same problem that Solaris 8
has. You seem to be limited to a total of 1Gb/sec network bandwidth
regardless of how many NICs you have running at the same time. Although if
1Gb/sec is all you need then ignore what I just said. If I were you I'd go
with another Sun server.

Our new server hums along just great at a bit over 160MB/sec (right around
600 GB/hour) using 2 GB NICs. Just getting over a few teething problems but
the performance is far better than our Linux server. But then is just had
SDLT drives so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Ken