Networker

Re: [Networker] backing up a MS Cluster client

2006-06-01 09:56:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] backing up a MS Cluster client
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:55:37 -0400
On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:38 AM — 6/1/06, Davina Treiber wrote:

I recently sent out a summary of NetWorker cluster configs to some colleagues, so thought the list might be interested to see it also.

This is not specific to any platform or cluster software, the same basic principles apply regardless of whether it is Unix or Windoze.

Example environment:

Two node cluster running two services.

Physicals:
            PHYS1
            PHYS2

Services:
            VIRT1
            VIRT2

There will be at least 4 client resources in NetWorker for this environment.

PHYS1 and PHYS2 will be defined to backup save set "All" or specific local save sets as you prefer.

VIRT1 and VIRT2 will be configured to backup only the floating save sets associated with the service they run.

There are two extra items that need to be configured for VIRT1 and VIRT2:

(1)
Access to backup for physical clients. This is done by adding entries to the remote access fields of VIRT1 and VIRT2, the same two entries in each:

user=root,host=PHYS1
user=root,host=PHYS2

(for Windoze systems, substitute system for root)
For RMAN backups, some more similar entries will be required for other users.

Do NOT add the service names as aliases to the physical clients, and vice versa.

(2)
A setting to force the index for the virtual client to be written to the correct index name.

For filesystem backups this is accomplished by setting the backup command field for VIRT1 and VIRT2 to "save -c VIRT1" and "save -c VIRT2" respectively.

How does this work for an Exchange service in a clustered environment (active/passive)?

I think I have the regular files in our two-node Windows 2003 cluster being backed up. Just a few minutes ago, I put a folder with a small file on the shared Q:\ disk, did a backup, then I was able to recover that folder back to the shared disk under the virtual cluster's name. But when I try to backup the Exchange service, I get ...

exc1vs1.temple:MSEXCH: Could not run nsrxchsv.exe: The system cannot find the file specified

Why can't the nsrxchsv.exe program be found?

"signoff networker" in the