Networker

[Networker] Strange NDMP behavior

2006-05-16 10:52:19
Subject: [Networker] Strange NDMP behavior
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:49:47 -0400
I am having a strange problem using NDMP to back up Mirapoint email servers via NDMP 3. This problem began on May 11 when the operating system on our eight Mirapoint email servers was upgraded to MOS 3.7.5a-GA. We run NetWorker 7.2.1 on a Sun Solaris 9 box and prior to this Mirapoint OS upgrade, our NDMP backups worked fine. Now, I am getting very strange things happen.

Our eight Mirapoint message stores hold anywhere from 10GB of email up to about 500GB and all are behaving the same weird way. For the servers with a large amount of data, the backup takes more than 24 hours to complete ... I think. I am seeing errors show up that says that a given Mirapoint server's backup cannot start because it is already running. We use disk image backups on all eight Mirapoint servers. Although our goal is to do selective backups so we can recover individual mailboxes, that hasn't happened yet due to a flaw on the Mirapoint NDMP client, so we do a full disk image backup each night.

I also have each Mirapoint server configured such that it is in its own savegroup. The tape library they back up to is connected to our NetWorker server. Four of the 13 Sony S-AIT in our tape library are designated as NDMP devices and these are what handle our Mirapoint backups. Each group is also assigned its own tape pool.

This strategy has been working fine for the past three years or so, since we first became a Mirapoint email shop. I am also certain that the data is recoverable because we have a test Mirapoint server that allows us to recover data without inconveniencing users, so this gets testing about once every three months or so, and sometimes more often.

The problem is that some of our Mirapoint backups are taking more than 24 hours to complete now, even for disk image backups, but what is really strange is that in the NetWorker Administrator's GUI when I click on the "indexes" button, I see no evidence that backups have succeeded, but if I use "mminfo -av -c" for our Mirapoint servers, it shows the details for backups since the upgrade. So mminfo and the NetWorker GUI are showing different results.

I have a call open with Mirapoint on this issue, but I am wondering if anyone out there has also encountered this situation.

In the meanwhile, I am going to schedule a Mirapoint recover ASAP to see what happens.

"signoff networker" in the