Networker

[Networker] Balancing load between storage nodes

2006-05-08 09:30:51
Subject: [Networker] Balancing load between storage nodes
From: Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 09:28:00 -0400
Hello list

Maybe somebody can offer some advice on the following situation.

The setup....

We have 10 tape drives in a single library attached to a fibre switch.

We have two networker servers (master and storage node) attached to that
same switch - each server has two paths to that same switch.

The fabric is configured so that each tape drive can be seen on both paths
on each networker server.  We have dynamic drive sharing licensed for all
10 drives.

So for example, drive #0 has four distinct paths according to networker
        /dev/rmt/0cbn   (master server, first fibre channel)
        /dev/rmt/10cbn  (master server, second fibre channel)
        rd=jcnetworker2:/dev/rmt/0cbn   (storage node, first fibre
channel)
        rd=jcnetworker2:/dev/rmt/10cbn  (storage node, second fibre
channel)

The tape pool "DAILY" is set up as default with no specific devices
checked off (so all drives should be used)

The problem....

When a savegroup runs, the server only uses the drives attached to the
master server - ignoring the existence of the storage node.  I ended up
trying to write to 10 LTO3 drives down a single fibre channel.  What is
the best way to load balance between all my paths.  I've tried
specifically checking off specific paths to devices in the tape pool
setup, but then it just picks a path to the master server and ignores the
rest.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail.  It may be
produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation.
Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result
of  transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited.