Networker

Re: [Networker] mminfo -m reports different volretent value?

2006-05-01 11:41:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] mminfo -m reports different volretent value?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:39:27 -0400
Well, this seems strange, but here's what I've observed. My default time zone on the client is set as EDT, and the so is the server. If I run my command, specifying ssretent(18), then I notice that there are a number of save sets on the volume that report times exactly 1 hour ahead of what the server reports (minutes and seconds are identical, however).

Here's the command: mminfo -s server -q volume=volname -r 'name,ssretent(18) -ot'

However, if I then change my time zone, on both the client and the server, from EDT to UTC then the output is identical, even if specifying only ssretent and not ssretent(18). This seems reasonable, but why would the server report some times as being exactly 1 hour behind when its time zone was set to EDT and so was the client's?

One thing I should note is that root's time on the server is also set to EDT, but root's time on the client is set to UTC. I can understand, therefore, that you might see a time difference of 4-5 hours (depending on Day Light Savings or non Day Light Savings) when you're comparing save set times, and you're logged in as root on the client, but why would you see a difference of 1 hour when the time is set to EDT on both?

George

Darren Dunham wrote:

If I run 'mminfo -s server -m', and I compare the output when run on the server versus the clients, I see that the output is identical with the exception that one volume is reported with a retention time of 03/14/07 when the command is run on the server, but when the same command is run on the clients, the given volume is reported with a retention date of 03/15/07. Otherwise, all other output for the command is identical.

Time zone differences?
What happens if you run with -r 'volretent(18)'?  Are all the times off
by an equal offset?

To probe deeper, I then ran 'mminfo -s server -q volume=volname -r name,ssretent -ot > file' on the server and some of the clients. There appear to be about 25 save sets on the volume whose reported retention times are one day further in the future when the command is run on the clients versus the server.

Expand ssretent to ssretent(18) and compare.

"signoff networker" in the