Networker

Re: [Networker] Client backs up, but index has problems...

2006-04-27 13:30:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client backs up, but index has problems...
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:27:26 -0400
Problem seems to be solved. Unlike any of the other systems being backed up, the system in question had the fully-qualified and old domain name set with the "hostname" command. So it was the client itself that was mucking it up.

All the savesets were under the old domain name, so the index wasn't cross-checking properly.

I deleted and recreated the client under the old domain name, and it seems happier for it.

They are a bit too paranoid with the system to change the hostname locally... :(

Brian O'Neill wrote:
This is a new one on me, as I once again inherit someone else's Networker server...

I have a Networker 7.2.Build.172 server, backing up a Linux client with the 6.1.Build.186 client installed (I'll see about getting that upgraded). The server seems to be talking to the client fine, and is backing it up. The only warning is about the reverse DNS (something else to look in to), but its not affecting the backup itself.

The past few nights, its been complaining "No full backups of this save set were found in the media database" and proceeds to do a full backup.

Yesterday I checked the Index for the GUI, although it was about 100% utilized at over 2GB, no save sets volumes were listed. Also, the save sets were all marked "E" (recyclable), as if they expired right after being completed.

Figuring a possible corrupted index, I ran nsrck -L6, and it wiped out the index completely, saying "no valid save times". That was fine with me.

It ran again last night, and this time I expected the "No full backups" message...but the same problem existed. Running a nsrck -L2 didn't see any issues:

nsrck: checking index for 'foo.bar.com'
nsrck: /nsr/index/foo.bar.com contains 170256 records occupying 25 MB
nsrck: Completed checking 1 client(s)

But running an -L3 wiped it out again:
nsrck: checking index for 'foo.bar.com'
nsrck: WARNING: no valid save times for client 'foo.bar.com' - cross check all (7) indexes
nsrck: /nsr/index/foo.bar.com contains 0 records occupying 0 KB
nsrck: Completed checking 1 client(s)

Any idea what is going on here? Why am I getting a corrupt index off the bat? Everything seems to be fine on the server...

-Brian

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

"signoff networker" in the