Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.2.1 for NetWare and directed recover

2006-04-19 14:57:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.2.1 for NetWare and directed recover
From: George Raetzke <A02GAR1 AT WPO.CSO.NIU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:50:02 -0500
Some more details:

Server A - running 7.2.1 for netware, this is the box I used to browse,
select and start the recover.
Server B - running 7.2.1 for netware, this is the box that had the
files on it that I want to recover to a different directory on Server B.
 (I know I could do a regular recover if I did the browse/etc on Server
B, however the Backup Administrators here only have console access to
Server A).

1 - If a volume is selected that exists on Server A, the path specified
in the relocate field will be created if it doesn't already exist.  Then
Server A tells Server B to actually start recover.nlm and perform the
recover, which works.  Only problem here is that the Volume needs to
exist and you get paths create that are never used.

2 - If t volume is selected that doesn't exist on Server A, then you
get an error that the path doesn't exists.  It still tries to complete
the recover, but seems to be using that last successful restore path
location, which in my case existed on Server A, but not Server B.  So
when Server A tells Server B to do the restore is walks thru the marked
files, but can't save it as the path on Server A didn't exist on Server
B.

I opened a case with EMC this morning, and they just called to get more
details and they are going to go to their lab and test this out...  Of
course I am the first to find it according to them, but hey I am used to
that...

In your test Allan, you didn't say which server you were
browsing/mark/starting the recover from.  If it was ServerB then I would
expect it to work, on Server A I would expect it have a problem.  But
you are doing a to b.  I am doing b to b but doing the browse/mark/start
from server a.

George A. Raetzke, CNE & LPIC-1
Senior Systems Programmer
Enterprise System Support
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL  60115
graetzke AT niu DOT edu
815-753-8549

>>> an AT CEH.AC DOT UK 4/19/2006 4:01:05 AM >>>
In view of what you said here, I just tested a directed recover of a
file using Netware client 7.2.1 and it all seemed to work as expected.

Details were...
Source server: SERVERA   Source file: VOLA\adirectory\afile
Dest server: SERVERB       Dest volume: VOLB\adirectory

I made sure that I didn't choose a volume to recover to that exists on
the source server (ie in this case, there was no VOLB on the source
server.
The recover worked as expected.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your problem.

Allan.

>>> A02GAR1 AT WPO.CSO.NIU DOT EDU 18/04/06 21:56 >>>
I can successfully to a directed recover with 7.2.1 on NetWare if the
relocate to is pointed to the sys: volume, however if I try to go to a
different volume (tried both share: and mail:), I get an error saying
that the path doesn't exist, and then it tries to recover to a
previously used location on the server running nwadmin not the one I
told it to.

My theory is that the code in 7.2.1 is checking the LOCAL file system
to see if the relocate to: path exists, rather then checking the
server
to you redirecting to...

George A. Raetzke, CNE & LPIC-1
Senior Systems Programmer
Enterprise System Support
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL  60115
graetzke AT niu DOT edu
815-753-8549

body of the email. Please write to
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems