Networker

Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library

2006-04-19 09:13:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:11:55 -0500
Amen to that.   I have two T2000s in-house, awaiting connectivity to a
StorageTek SL500 with 4 x LTO3 drives.   The library arrived yesterday.

When we were looking at the T2000, Sun gave us an unsupported package to
run on the machines we were considering migrating to T1 (in this case, some
of my UltraSPARC III-based NetWorker servers.)     I ran the Sun app while
one of my backup servers (running on US III CPUs) was busy running
NetWorker full-tilt (i.e. 4 SDLT drives, 6 streams each, at about
15-20MB/sec) and the Sun utility indicated that the app (NetWorker) would
probably run great on the T2000 frame.

I expect to have this system up by Friday and I'll publish benchmarks after
a couple of weeks of testing if anybody's interested.

BTW, The ipge driver is used for the 4xGbit ethernet ports on the T2000.
Sun Trunking is NOT supported with the ipge driver, and apparently never
will be.  The plan, according to the Sun engineer who worked my case on
this issue a couple of weeks ago, is that  with Solaris 10 Update 3 (due
out sometime in Q2) the ipge driver will no longer be used but instead a
different driver which IS supported in Sun Trunking -- I think it's called
the e1000g driver -- will be used with these NICs.
-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.

             Peter Viertel
             <Peter.Viertel@MA
             CQUARIE.COM>                                               To
             Sent by: Legato           NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE                                     Subject
             RV.TEMPLE.EDU>            Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server
                                       for a 4xLTO3 tape library

             04/19/2006 05:36
             AM

             Please respond to
             Legato NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE
              RV.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
               Peter Viertel
             <Peter.Viertel@MA
               CQUARIE.COM>

so far we know the software works, and the hardware is supported by
EMC's matrix and legato HCL.

but as for what happens under real load we are still in the dark -
someone has suggested we may have a problem due to the CPU cores each
having a much smaller cache than US IV+ cores although I wouldnt have
thought so - I am planning some tests via ethernet in- ethernet out....
i would really prefer to test the  ethernet in, FC out scenario, but we
dont have a test SAN just now.

The cowboy side of me is saying to just deploy one live and see how it
goes...

type
"signoff networker" in the
if