Networker

Re: [Networker] Restore single file from MMRECOV-ed index?

2006-04-13 11:06:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restore single file from MMRECOV-ed index?
From: Rich Graves <rgraves AT CARLETON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:03:54 -0500
Ultra Kiasu wrote:
If I were to used scanner to scan my tape to restore my networker index to my Disaster Recovery server, I can perform nwrecover to restore one file instead of the whole saveset.

By if I opted for a faster MMRECOV index recovery, I could only restore the whole saveset (all files) to "original" location via SSID.
[...]
I hate to use scanner, thus is there a way for me to restore single use if I recover my index with MMRECOV?

As others have mentioned, "index" is the wrong term here, but if I change your words to what I think you really mean, then yes. Assuming you know the path, you can restore a single file from an unindexed saveset that you've pulled into the mediadb with mmrecov.

If your ssid is 12345678 and you want to recover /etc/passwd, the command line would be

recover -S 12345678 /etc/passwd

I believe the entire tape(s) will still need to be read (since mmrecov has no way of knowing where within the same stream the file can be found) but at least you will be able to do that in one pass.

See the man page for the command-line recover client.

       recover [-f] [-n] [-u] [-q] [-i {nNyYrR}] [-d destination]
         -s server -S ssid[/cloneid] [-S ssid[/cloneid]]... [ path]...

       -S ssid[/cloneid]
              Specifies  save  set  recover mode and can only be used
              by root.  This mode can be used to  implement  fast
              batch  file  recovery without requiring the NetWorker
              file index entries.  ssid speci- fies the save set
              id’s for the  save  set(s)  to  be  recovered.
              When  there  are  multiple  clone  instances for a
              save set, the cloneid can also be specified to  select
              the  particular  clone instance to be recovered from.
              When no path arguments are spec- ified, the entire save
              set contents will be recovered.  One more or  more
              path’s can be specified to limit which directories
              and files are actually recovered.  If path’s are
              supplied, then  the beginning  of  each  path name
              as it exists in the save set must exactly match
              one of the path’s before  it  will  be  recovered.
              Shell  like  file  name matching using meta characters
              like ‘*’, ‘?’, and ‘[...]’  is not done.
              You can use a path that ends  in with  a slash
              (‘/’) to force a directory only match (e.g., use
              a path of /etc/fs/  instead  of  /etc/fs  to  prevent
              files  like /etc/fsck from being recovered as well).

"signoff networker" in the