Networker

Re: [Networker] General Backup Question

2006-04-11 19:27:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] General Backup Question
From: Daniel Rich <drich AT PDI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:25:44 -0700
Kathleen wrote:
> Do you send backup tapes or clone tapes offsite?  THe clone verifies it
> was a good backup, but how do you verify the clone...reclone?  Just
> curious.  Thought I saw a post that said somebody was keeping clone tapes
> onsite and backups offsite.

> type "signoff networker" in the
> body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
> edu if you have any problems
> wit this list. You can access the archives at

It depends on why you are sending tapes off-site.  If you are doing it
for disaster recovery, you want to send your original off-site, not the
clone.  The original is always the "best" copy of the data -- the clone
is never going to be better (if there is an error on the original it
will be on the clone, but an error on the clone is not necessarily on
the original).

--
Dan Rich <drich AT pdi DOT com>
          PDI Dreamworks |  "Step up to red alert!"  "Are you sure, sir?