Networker

[Networker] Recommended stinit.def entries for SDLT 600 drives?

2006-04-06 10:53:22
Subject: [Networker] Recommended stinit.def entries for SDLT 600 drives?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:49:38 -0400
Hi,

Does anyone know if an 'stinit.def' file is needed or recommended for SDLT 600 drives and if so what the recommended entries should be?

We have a new Quantum M1800 tape library with SDLT 600 drives. The library is running on a RedHat Linux box (RedHat Enterprise Linux ES release 3) and will be a storage node running NetWorker 7.2.1. The primary server will be Solaris running NetWorker 7.2.1 under Solaris 2.9. We've not yet installed the storage node software and configured the jukebox, but we have tested out the drives using Unix tar for read/writes. Not sure if 'stinit.def' will be required so just asking.

Found some sample entries at Quantum's site:

http://downloads.quantum.com/dlt4000/6464215011.pdf

for installing a DLT, SDLT or VS tape drive into a Linux OS. Just curious if anyone is using these same values? Also, found some stuff at Legato's site, but the only thing I could find was some very sparse examples in the installation guide, which doesn't include SDLT 600 or even LTO 1 2 or 3. The information at Legato seems very weak and incomplete. At one time they had some info under the compatibility guide section, but I can't find that section anymore after EMC took over. Don;t know where they've hidden that, but it wasn't that comprehensive either as I recall.

Thanks in advance.

George

"signoff networker" in the