Networker

Re: [Networker] licence status when moving to another host

2006-03-31 11:11:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] licence status when moving to another host
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:04:29 -0500
On Mar 31, 2006, at 4:44 AM — 3/31/06, Michel Villaume wrote:

Bonjour ,

We are currently running networker 721 on HP Superdome Partition and want to downgrade our dome complex on HP RP box .

I don't know yet if the networker server will be upgrade from 721 to 7.3 during transition , but I know that the target server (HP-RP) will keep the same @IP et same hostname that the current server (DOME partition) .

I don't know if the licence code use internal mac@ , and my question is : can i run networker on the target host with my current licencing , or
should I contact my local dealer to obtain new code .
(same question if I move from 721 to 7.3 )

As the target server keep the same @ip/hostname than the current , can I
just keep too my /nsr content without "migration" ?

I encourage you to read Legato's information on server migration. Not that I am trying to shill any business for Legato, but this is a good time to verify that your update and technical support agreement with Legato is in place, or with your preferred Legato reseller.

Check out the following technical bulletins (especially the first one):

http://www.legato.com/support/websupport/tech_bulletins/index.htm? includefile=121.html

http://www.legato.com/support/websupport/tech_bulletins/index.htm? includefile=405.htm

http://www.legato.com/support/websupport/tech_bulletins/index.htm? includefile=365.html

As far as your question about migrating to NetWorker 7.3 is concerned, I strongly urge you to avoid doing that migration at the same time you migrate to new hardware. In fact, unless you have a dire need for any new functionality in 7.3, you're better off tabling your plans to migrate to it until at least the summer or winter in order to give Legato's developers more time to get the bugs out of that version that have been reported to them and discussed on this list. If you migrate to new hardware and 7.3 concurrently, you're asking for a whole lot of grief because if something goes wrong, you may have trouble isolating the problem to the new version or the new hardware. Better to treat software and hardware migrations as entirely separate projects.

"signoff networker" in the