Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie

2006-03-24 09:27:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie
From: rrevuru AT GMAIL DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:25:01 -0500
On 3/24/06, Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT macquarie DOT com> wrote:

> OK... Here's some answers to your questions....
>
> >  Following are the questions
> >  1. How come the "Used=Full" when it is not using the total capacity
> of the tape
> >  2. How come tape 1 can save upto 78GB and says it is full, tape2 can
> save upto 49GB says it full.
>
> Full - is a flag set on a tape to say - don't put any more on it...
> Either someone has set it manually, or it hits end-of-tape, or the
> system encountered errors on the device when operating the tape...
> Networker will get fed up and mark the tape full... Even if theres
> nothing wrong with the tape and its scsi errors on the drive.....
>
> But most likely you are seeing the effects of hardware compression.
> You don't mention your drive types or config - but that's another reason
> for the variable capacity...   Some data compresses badly, some does
> very well....

Can you tell me the what kind of compression ratio should i use to make use
of the maximum space on the tape. I am currently using LTO-Ultrium-2.

When coming to compressing data . according to research i did so far,
compression is acheived from the client side (Networker User).

If anybody can throw some in suggestions, about industry standard
compression mechanisms i would appreciate