Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie

2006-03-23 12:20:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie
From: Kobus Bensch <kbensch AT FULLNET.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:16:25 +0000
one suggestion on the tape full is to disable and stop the Removablew storage
service in services. We found this had some strange effect of marking 200GB
tapes full after just 10 mb in some cases.

Kobus

Quoting rrevuru AT GMAIL DOT COM:

> On 3/23/06, Stan Horwitz <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote:
> >

> > If you want to enable a full tape that's marked for manual recycling
> > to be relabled and writable, you need to mark it as recyclable. You
> > did not say which NetWorker version you're using. Windows and Unix
> > NetWorker have different GUIs so the specific way to mark a volume as
> > recyclable depends on which OS platform you are using for your
> > NetWorker server.
> >
> > I use NetWorker on Solaris (i.e., Sun's Unix) so I am not the best
> > person to respond to NetWorker server questions in a Windows
> > environment. If you're running NetWorker in any kind of a Unix
> > environment, you can use the NetWorker Administrator GUI to mark a
> > manually recyclable tape as recyclable OR you can do it via the
> > command line with the nsrjb command and the "-o" option. You can also
> > remove the tape from the media database, but that's not the best
> > option because you lose information about it such as how many times
> > it was labeled.
> >
> > Feel free to ask any further questions you may have; that's the
> > purpose of this list! There's no need to apologize. Everyone on this
> > list had to learn NetWorker somewhere!
>

> I am using Networker 7.2 Windows Version. Here is what i have
>
> As i said i have 8-tape Auto-Loader. Of that i have 6 slots filled with 6
> tapes.
> 2 of those tapes are 200 GB/ and 4 of them are 100GB uncompressed.
>
> Right now this what is shows in the volumes tab
>           Written     Used     expiration date

> tape1 : 78GB     full       03/31/2006
> tape2:  49GB     full       03/24/2006
> tape3:  34GB     full      10/26/2006
> tape4:  64GB     full       03/31/2006
> tape5  110GB    full       manual
> tape6  130GB    full       manual
>
> Following are the questions
>
> 1. How come the "Used=Full" when it is not using the total capacity of the
> tape
> 2. How come tape 1 can save upto 78GB and says it is full, tape2 can save
> upto 49GB says it full.
> 3. How can make all those tapes ready to overwrite, and tell networker to
> re-use it.
>
> Guys:
> When you manual recycle, does it manaul delete everything off the tape?
>

> I did see some options of manual recyling under the following menu from the
> GUI
>
> Devices:
>    :-> Tape:
>         :->Operations
>               :->Label
>                    : ->Manual Recycle:
>

> Thanks,

> type
> "signoff networker" in the
> body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
> edu if
> you have any problems
> wit this list. You can access the archives at

Fullnet Solutions Limited
Kobus Bensch
7 Marlborough Close
Maidenhead
Berkshire
SL6 4LP
United Kingdom

Tel: (+44) 01628 675 978
Fax: (+44) 07092 289 990
Mob: (+44) 07703 503 733

eMail: kbensch AT fullnet.co DOT uk

WWW1: http://www.fullnet.co.uk
WWW2: http://www.computer-technical.net

whom this electronic communique are addressed. If you have
received this email in error please notify the system administrator
by emailing admin AT fullnet.co DOT uk and immediately delete the wrongly
delivered email.

The content of this email does not necessarily reflect the views
or opinions of Fullnet Solutions Limited. If you have any queries
or complaints please email info AT fullnet.co DOT uk.

scanned for the presence of computer viruses. Fullnet Solutions
Limited can however not be held responsible for any virus infections on
the recipients or any other systems. For more information
regarding the solutions Fullnet Solutions has to offer please email
sales AT fullnet.co DOT uk.