Networker

[Networker] Queries regarding backup....

2006-03-20 23:57:35
Subject: [Networker] Queries regarding backup....
From: Srinivas Rao <rsrini AT BLR.PIN.PHILIPS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:23:09 +0530
Dear Networkers,
I have some queries regarding backups.

1. What is the logic behind incremental / differential backups? How does the
Networker know whether or not the file has backedup earlier and with what level?
2. Does it check each and every file to prepare the list of items to be
backedup with incremental or differential backup?
3. One of our backup engineer aborted inventory operation in progress and
because of this Networker did not pick up tapes for scheduled backups and it
did not allow us to do any other operation(labeling etc..due to message
"Inventory operation already in progress"). However I could see media pending
requests in the monitor window. Why did it happen?
4. Why index is always being written with level 9?
5. Why does Networker write indexes from the Networker server to tape media
after backing up the client?
6. I have checked restorations with Bakbone NetVault and it can do very fast
compared to Legato Networker. Why is Networker slow with restorations??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Srinivas Rao.
Philips Software Centre,